Reflexology in pregnancy, labour and the postnatal period
Maternity Reflexology is aimed specifically at women during pre-conception, pregnancy, labour and the post-natal period.
During your pregnancy, your body will go through significant changes; these changes will affect the emotional, hormonal and physiological balance of your body. Reflexology can help to alleviate or prevent discomfort arising from this imbalance and restore the body’s equilibrium.
Research has shown that regular reflexology treatments during pregnancy can shorten the duration of labour, with many women requiring less pain-relief.
I can offer reflexology specifically oriented to a number of stages before, during and after pregnancy:
- Health and Wellbeing (65min treatment)
- Fertility (75min treatment)
- Maternity Reflexology (75min treatment)
- Reflexology for labour and birth preparation (90min treatment)
- Postnatal healing reflexology (75 to 90min treatment)
Reflexology is safe and effective during pregnancy. It is, however, not recommended if there is a history of premature labour, severe hypertension, placenta previa or recent vaginal bleeding. If you suspect any problems in your pregnancy it is important to contact your doctor or midwife.
Reflexology during pregnancy can help:
- General relaxation
- Relief of stress and anxiety
- Increased energy levels
- Ease physiological discomforts
- Reduce heartburn
- Relieve backache, nausea and vomiting
- High blood pressure
- Oedema (swelling, mainly of feet and ankles)
- Ligament and groin pain
- Symphysis pubis dysfunction
- Insomnia and sleep problems
- Turning a breech baby
- Preparation for labour
Maternity reflexology is available in 75 minute sessions.
Research has shown that women who have regular reflexology treatments during pregnancy are more likely to have a shorter labour and require less pain relief.
Other benefits include:
- Induction of labour
- Pain relief
- Co-ordination and acceleration of regular contractions
- Preventing a retained placenta
Reflexology for labour and birth preparation is available in 90 minute sessions.
Reflexology can help to alleviate postnatal problems and help with breastfeeding.
It also assists with:
- Inadequate lactation
- Engorged breasts
- Urine retention
- Stress and anxiety problems
- Sleep problems
- Postnatal depression
- Increase in energy levels
Reflexology for post-natal healing is available in 75-90 minute sessions.
You can find out more about reflexology with Joan Mills at: harpendenreflexology.co.uk